Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipe Of The Week: Vegetable Bisque

OK fellow Truth Seekers...you asked for it and here it is:  
Recipe Wednesday.
Recipe Wednesday is...
The perfect antidote for sailing through mid-week doldrums
The entree, side-dish, or dessert you just may devour for dinner this weekend
The beginning of realizing the eye-opening possibilities of eating gluten, wheat, and dairy free, deliciously. 

Bon Appetit My Friends!
XO
Stacey


Vegetable Bisque

This is one of the many answers I've come up with to make peace with my lukewarm attitude towards vegetables.  Still have to remind myself to eat them after all these years!  I'm just not a fan of the flavor and texture of a lot of them, especially the mealy cruciferous ones like broccoli and cauliflower.  I recently made a vegetable bisque using a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots).  Any combination works.  A velvety bisque is a great way to ingest them pleasurably. And because of the coconut milk, there's no dairy hangover.
For this and any bisque recipe you'll need a traditional or immersion blender.  Immersions are my preferred method because you don't have to take the soup out of the pot to blend.  You do, however, have to be super-careful about splattering.  You could sautee onions or garlic on the side and add once vegetables have cooked but it's not necessary.  I was in such a hurry when I made this I used onion powder and garlic salt.  My spice cupboard is a HUGE time-saver on busy days. 


1 bag frozen vegetables
1 TBS. powdered chicken stock or boullion
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 can coconut milk (regular or light)


Place vegetables in stock pot and add enough water so that it's about an inch deep, no more. Add seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are fork-tender.  Add coconut milk and then blend thoroughly until there are no solid vegetable pieces left.

This is great on its own or mixed with rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment