Thursday, December 2, 2010

Everyone Should Be This Lucky

On the right hand column on this blog, you’ll notice three categories. I decided to break the contents of my ongoing journey down into three major aspects of the human experience…and to underscore that paying attention to only one usually results in imbalance.

The question I’m asked most frequently regarding dropping 170 pounds is ‘what do you eat?’ Sometimes people demand to know my food intake to the letter in hopes that the weight will melt off, and so will the problems. I’ve been at this a long time and have learned the solution is a multifaceted one: food choices, physical exertion, feeling the feelings, finding things other than French fries to center me and make me feel calm.

There’s no one answer and it’s truly a mosaic, and one of the most important jeweled elements of it are relationships. Specifically, choosing healthy ones. This has been a work in progress for 20+ years. Getting good at it has progressed in tandem with my rising self esteem.

Having a life in balance means having relationships that are affirming and nurturing. As author and motivational Marc Mero is fond of saying:  'Friends are like elevators...they either take you up or take you down"

I make it a point to surround myself with people who are respectful, supportive, honest, and who genuinely wish me well. I may not live in the country’s most affluent zip code, but where my personal (and business...they count just as much) relationships are concerned, I’m one Wealthy Woman.

Case in point: my friend Sally Longo. She has a heart of solid gold and also happens to be a caterer with formidable culinary skills. A major score for me is being invited to one of her parties, or just a simple girlfriends dinner. Sally knows I eat gluten-free and although I’m fine with bringing g-free options along for the ride when I'm invited to dinner, she doesn’t give it a second thought to create a sumptuous, g-free meal fit for a pair of food-loving Queens. Now how great a friend is that?

The dinner below that Sally created one winter evening had me fanning myself in delight. Every ingredient was sublime…from the crispy planks of bacon in the spinach salad and the velvety mashed rutabaga, to the meatloaf that oozed steaming rivulets of tamarind glaze (chef Suvir Saran’s gorgeous recipe http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/030734150X/smallfarms-20 ).

Sally is also a cookbook author and her fantastic collection of recipes from her 20 years as a caterer can be found at http://www.amazon.com/Aunt-Sallys-Adirondack-Kitchen-Cookbook/dp/1604028645 .


So here’s to beautifully set tables, food made with Love, and the thoughtfulness of friends!


One of Sally's salad's...fully loaded


Chef and cookbook author Suvir Saran's famous Tamarind-Glazed Meatloaf


How creative is this?  Mashed rutabega - surprisingly delicious and slightly sweet


Dessert was g-free cake. At first it was frosting-free, then Sally had a lightbulb moment and returned from her basement warehouse with a giant jar of Nutella. It was the perfect, creamy touch.


The artist and her masterpieces...including the table setting


Sally and I sharing a laugh at a catered book signing with Kim Sunee, author of the best-selling memoir, "Trail of Crumbs." (www.kimsunee.com )

2 comments:

  1. Dear One, I came across you, in an article in Dec. 2010 "Spirit Of Saratoga" magazine which came with our paper delivery.

    Read the article and Gluten Free and Lactose Intolerant clicked. I know you don't have to live either of those life styles, other than choice. But I've been tested-&-proved to be Lactose Intol. And have felt much better [in the "gut"] with mostly G/F eating.

    But honestly, I need more "push." Your wonderful story sounds like something I want to read back on, and follow along with. Blogs rock! And you have two! :-)

    Now you are a beautiful "Youngin'," where I'm an "Olden" wife, mom, grandmother. But feeling our best, is great, at any/all ages. So thank you for having these 2 blogs! I look forward to reading along...

    Gentle Winter hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mashed turnip! (us Canucks call them turnip, not sure why) :)

    And I agree. It's not just about the food. If you don't surround yourself with good, genuine people then you'll flounder. Everyone has a journey in life, but to separate yourself from those who are negative and end up spreading the non-feel good vibes, is a hard thing to do sometimes, but a necessity.

    Thanks for all your wonderful posts :) <3

    ReplyDelete